To obtain a United States passport, you must present the following:
- Proof of Citizenship (must present one of the following three options):
- Certified copy of Birth Certificate bearing:
- Raised Seal
- File Date, within one year of birth
- Name, correctly spelled
- Hospital-issued birth certificates will not be accepted. Birth Certificates must be issued by a state or county agency with the appropriate certification and seal.
- Old U.S. passports may be used in place of a birth certificate. All holders of a previous passport must submit their old passport.
- Certificate of Naturalization/Citizenship (for naturalized citizens).
Note: Effective February 1, 2008, the consent of both parents will be required for minors under the age of 16.
- Children under the age of 16 must also provide proof of parental/guardian relationship (usually done with a birth certificate or court order) as well as presenting previous U.S. Passports. If the child has never had a passport before, then the certified copy of birth certificate can be used to provide proof of both citizenship as well as proof of parental relationship.
- Two passport photos, 2x2, color or black and white with a light background, less than 6 months old.
- Application fee, which must be paid in the form of check, money order or cashier's check only, made payable to "U.S. Department of State" (Passport Agency does not accept cash). See below.
- Execution fee. See below.
U.S. Passport Cards
The passport card will facilitate entry and expedite document processing at the U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The card MAY NOT be used for international air travel. It will otherwise carry the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and will be adjudicated to the exact same standards. For complete information regarding U.S. Passport cards, please visit the U.S. Department of State's Passport Card website.
Fee structure as of February 14, 2011
Please note: Passport fees are set by the U.S. Department of State and not the County Clerk's Office. When applying, you pay the passport fee and the security surcharge to the ''U.S. Department of State'' and the execution fee to the facility where you are applying.
- Adults and children age 16 and over: U.S. Passport Book: $110.00; U.S. Passport Card: $30.00. Fees must be made by personal check, money order or cashier's check, payable to "U.S. Department of State." No cash accepted.For those wanting return overnight delivery of passports, there is an additional charge of $72.72 for a total of $182.72 for each U.S. Passport Book.
- Children under 16 years: U.S. Passport Book: $80.00; U.S. Passport Card: $15.00. Fees must be made by personal check, money order or cashier's check, payable to "U.S. Department of State." No cash accepted. For those wanting return overnight delivery of passports, there is an additional charge of $72.72 for a total of $152.72 for each U.S. Passport Book.
- $25.00 execution fee per application payable to "County Clerk." For check acceptance policies, please visit our Fees page.
Note: As of February 1, 2004, ALL APPLICANTS must appear in person, including minors 16 and under.
Both parents must consent to a passport application. Consent Forms are required for non-appearing/non-applying parents for passport applications executed on behalf of minors under age 16. Consent Forms for non-appearing/non-applying parents MUST BE NOTARIZED.
Per the U.S. Passport Agency, ROUTINE SERVICE as of July 12, 2010, is approximately 4-6 weeks from the receipt of the application. The County Clerk's Office is only an acceptance agency. We are not responsible for passports that arrive later than the estimated time posted. Processing times can vary depending on workload and unforeseen natural disasters.
Expedited Fee Service:
Those wishing to receive passports sooner may request expedited service and overnight mail. The additional fee is $60 per application plus $12.72 overnight return delivery per application. If you want the County Clerk's Office to express mail your application to the U.S. Passport Agency, you must bring in a $17.50 stamp per application, obtained from the post office. Per the U.S. Passport Agency, the processing time for Expedited service, that includes overnight delivery to and from the Passport Agency, is approximately 2-3 weeks door-to-door. If you wish to have this service, the fee MUST be in a money order or check, payable to the U S Department of State. For those requiring passports in less than 3 weeks, application at the Passport Agency is suggested.
- Birth certificates and certificates of naturalization or citizenship must be submitted with your application; however, they will be returned with the new passport.
- Questions regarding a U.S. passport can be directed to the U.S. Department of State. Click on the passport icon below to travel there. Various applications may be obtained through this link also. Our office does not accept passport renewals by Mail Applications (Form DS-82). Please use the link below to obtain information on renewal by mail.
U. S. Department of State/Passports
For locations and hours of operations, please click on the Hours and Locations tab at the top of this page.
NOTE: Passport application processing hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.