subscribe to newsfeed
type size: A+ A-
Friday, February 27, 2015
Desert Conservation Program: BCCE

The Boulder City Conservation Easement

The Boulder City Conservation Easement Management Plan

What is the Boulder City Conservation Easement and how was it formed?  

The Clark County Desert Conservation Program(DCP) purchased an 86,423 acre conservation easement from Boulder City in 1995. This land is located in the Eldorado Valley south of Boulder City. The land is to be preserved and protected for the desert tortoise and other species.  Only passive use of this land is allowed. Hiking, driving slowly (under 25 mph) on designated routes, and sightseeing are examples of passive use.



How will I know if I am actually in the Easement? 

BCCE land is designated with limited use signs in green lettering with Boulder City and Clark County logos.  Bureau of Land Management (BLM), National Park Service (NPS) and private lands are also adjacent to the Easement.  Responsible behavior should be followed when traveling anywhere in the desert.

How do I know which roads are open for use? 

Only roads designated by an "Open Designated Road" sign can be legally used within the Easement. Open roads are marked on signs with green arrows showing the travel route.  "Private Road" signs are open for Rights of Way (ROW) holders only and are not open to the public. 




What will I encounter when I visit the Easement?  

Upon your travel through the Easement you may come upon tortoises, lizards, snakes, birds and a variety of plant species. 

Please do not touch wildlife.  Never take wildlife from the desert and never release anything in the desert.

What are the laws regarding the Easement?

Boulder City Ordinance #972, Title 7, Chapter 5 (7-5-8) lists the following as prohibited activities within the Easement.

  • The fine for each violation is $400.00 














Traveling on a closed road  

Commercial Harvesting (Flora/Fauna)  

Non-Commercial Harvesting (Flora/Fauna) 

Non-Commercial Collection of Biological Specimens    


Depositing a Desert Tortoise or other animal  

Uncontrolled dogs outside of a vehicle  


Discharge of Firearms


Unauthorized Research













State and Federal laws protecting wildlife also apply when using the Easement.  Contact the United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) or Nevada Department of Wildlife (NDOW) for more information on these regulations.


 I want to hold an event or conduct research in the Easement area, who do I talk to?

Please contact the City of Boulder City for event or activity permits

Phone (702)293-9256

Where can I learn more about recreation on other public lands in Clark County?

Check out this map of public lands and this guide to motorized travel rules, and see the Southern Nevada Agency Partnership website for more information.