subscribe to newsfeed
type size: A+ A-
Sunday, February 1, 2015
Juvenile Justice Services: Services
Juvenile Work Permits 

Juvenile Work Permits are issued Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., at the Payment Center, for a fee of $1.00. (Correct denomination is appreciated.) Juveniles must obtain a work permit if they are between the ages of 14 and 17.  Nevada law does not allow for a work permit to be issued to a juvenile under the age of 14.

All juveniles between the ages of 14 and 17 years of age must obtain a Work Permit for each job held until the age of 18. An exception to this would be a juvenile working in a family-owned business.

The most stringent guidelines are in effect for youths aged 14 and 15 who cannot work during school hours and never before 7 a.m. or after 7 p.m. on a school day nor more than a total of 3 hours a day or 18 hours per week. The exception to this regulation is during the traditional schools summer months.  June 1st through Labor Day, 14- and 15-year-old juveniles can work until 9 p.m. and up to but not more than 40 hours per week. Juveniles in this age group attending a school with a non-traditional schedule may work until 9 p.m., with a work week not to exceed 40 hours during non-school weeks. For laws governing juvenile employment in the state of Nevada, see Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 609.

When a youth turns 16 years old, they can work in any job or occupation that has not been declared hazardous by the Secretary of Labor. 

County Curfew Ordinance states the curfew exception for employed juveniles as, "If a child is legally employed, for the period from one-half hour before to one-half hour after work, while going directly between his or her home and place of employment, the juveniles copy of the Work Permit with the name of employer and work hours must be carried on the person of the juvenile at all times."

Requirements to obtain a Juvenile Work Permit are:       

  • Promise of a Job: The juvenile must know the name of the place of employment, its location, the hours to be worked and the type of work to be done.
  • Legal proof of age:  Proof of age can be submitted in the form of a:

 Birth Certificate
 Military I.D. card
 Nevada driver's license
 Nevada I.D.

 Nevada Learner's Permit
 (No School I.D.'s)
 Official school transcript

  • Foreign-born individuals must provide an Immigration Card, Naturalization Certificate, U.S. Department of State Born Abroad Birth Certificate, U.S. Passport, or Military Card.
  • Biological parent or legal guardian should be present. If not accompanied by your biological parent or legal guardian, you must have written permission and verifiable legal identification from your biological parent or legal guardian (with legal proof of guardianship) for each application.
  • Letter of exemption from Clark County School District if under 17 and not enrolled in school.  [Phone: (702) 799-8630  Ext.  316], see NRS 392.110.

Questions relating to employment of Juveniles, the requirements for obtaining a Juvenile Work Permit can be directed to the DJJS Payment Center located at DJJS, 601 N Pecos Road or please contact the other locations closest to you. (Call to Verify Hours & please allow 15 minutes before closing for service)

DJJS Eastside Probation
4180 S. Pecos, Suite 135
 Las Vegas, NV 89121
 (702) 455-8700
Hrs: T-F, 8 a.m-4 p.m.

DJJS Payment Center 
601 North Pecos Road
Las Vegas, NV 89101
 (702) 455-5235
Hrs: M-F, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.

 DJJS Prob N.W. Unit/CPS
2424 MLK cor Carey, Bldg C
Las Vegas, NV 89032
(702) 455-0740
Hrs: M-TH, 9-11 a.m., 1:30-4 p.m.

1975 Arie Avenue
Laughlin, NV 89029
(702) 298-3413
Hrs: M-F, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.

Mesquite - Police Dept.
500 Hillside Drive
Mesquite, NV 89027
(702) 346-5262
Hrs: M-F, 8 a.m-4 p.m

320 N. Moapa Valley
Overton, NV 89040
(702) 397-6475
Hrs: M-F, 7:30 a.m.-4 p.m.

Click to Download Juvenile Work Permit Application