Q: Is there a work experience requirement to qualify to test for the Master Electrician, Journeyman Electrician, Journeyman Residential Electrician and Journeyman Sign Electrician Cards?
A: No. Work experience is not required in order to test for the cards.

Q: How do I apply for and schedule an appointment to take the exam?
A: To test for the Master Electrician, Journeyman Electrician, Journeyman Residential Electrician and Journeyman Sign Electrician Cards, you must apply to Pearson VUE. Download the Clark County Examination Information Bulletin for more application information. After your application and fees are received by Pearson VUE, you will be able to schedule an appointment to take the exam at any of Pearson VUE's computer testing centers. Find out where Pearson VUE is located locally by clicking here.

Q: How much does the exam cost?
A: $100. You may pay Pearson VUE by credit card, debit card, electronic check draft, or by check.

Q: What material does the exam cover?
A: The content of the Master Electrician, Journeyman Electrician, Journeyman Residential Electrician, Low Voltage Technician and Journeyman Sign Electrician Card exams is listed in the Appendix of the Clark County Examination Information Bulletin. The approved references for each test are the National Electrical Code, 2008 Edition, published by the National Fire Protection Association.

Q: How do I renew my card?
A: Clark County's Master Electrician, Journeyman Electrician, Journeyman Residential Electrician and Journeyman Sign Electrician Cards must be renewed every three years. Card holders must take from 1.5 to 3 continuing education credits (CEUs) in order to renew the cards. Download the Clark County Examination Information Bulletin for more renewal information.

Q: Is a Clark County Journeyman Card required to work as an electrician in Clark County?
A: No, not necessarily.  Section 22.02.260 of the Clark County Building Administrative Code requires that any work that an electrical permit is required for will have a qualified individual on site to supervise the work.  Only the person supervising the work is required to hold a Clark County Journeyman or Masters card.

Q: Where may a Clark County Master or Journeyman Electrician Card be obtained?
A: Clark County Master Electrician and Journeyman Electrician cards are issued through contract by the International Code Council after an electrician has successfully passed the examination.

Q: Is a Master Electrician or Journeyman Electrician Card issued from another state valid in Clark County, Nevada?
A: No.  Clark County does not have reciprocity with any other jurisdictions.  You will be required to re-test in Clark County to obtain a Master or Journeyman card that is valid in Clark County.

Q: What is the journeyman to apprentice ratio requirement in Clark County?
A: Clark County does not regulate the number of apprentice electricians that can be supervised by a single journeyman electrician.

Q: What are the educational requirements for renewal of a Clark County Electrician Card?
A: Clark County requires a master electrician to obtain three continuing education credits and a journeyman electrician to obtain one and one-half credits over three years.  That requirement equates to four days of training for a master electrician and two days of training for a journeyman electrician during the three years prior to renewal, as a one-day class provides 0.8 continuing education credits.

Q: From whom will Clark County accept continuing education credits for renewal of Master and Journeyman cards?
A: Clark County will accept continuing education credits from the following:
• Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc. (ABC)
• International Association of Electrical Inspectors (IAEI)
• International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEWNJATC)
• International Code Council (ICC)
• Las Vegas Convention & Visitors Authority
• Las Vegas Valley Water District
• National Code Seminars/Steven J. Owen, Inc.
• National Electrical Contractors Association Management Education Institute
• National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
• Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
• Southern Nevada chapter of the National Electrical Contractors Association
• Southern Nevada Operating and Maintenance Engineers
• TEGG Corporation
• The Jacman Group
• Safety Training 24/7, Inc.

Q: If the master or journeyman wallet card is lost, where may a new one be obtained?
A: A new card may be obtained by the issuing agency, which is the International Code Council (ICC) by contacting the ICC Contractor Testing in Birmingham, Alabama at 1-877-783-3926.

Q: Is it necessary to convert an old master or journeyman card to the new ICC issued card?
A: Yes.  As with many agencies that regulate the electrical industry throughout the United States, Clark County has implemented a new continuing education requirement for electricians.  Under the old process, the cards had no expiration date and data was not maintained for individual card holders.  The newer cards contain a picture of the card holder, which was a procedure implemented to prevent fraud by those who had not proven their qualifications through obtaining their own card.

Q: I have a Nevada Contractors License.  Why do I need a Master or Journeyman card in Clark County?
A: The state of Nevada does not regulate supervision on the job site or the installation of an electrical system.  The requirement for a qualified individual on the job site to supervise the work is required per Section 22.02.260 of the Clark County Building Administrative Code.  In some instances, the license holder lives in other states and never sees the work being installed.  The Clark County card is not a contractor’s license; it is a qualification card and is intended to provide a competent level of supervision at the job site.

Q: Can I convert my Experior or National Assessments card to an ICC card without taking a test? 
A: No. The ability to convert Experior or National Assessments cards to an ICC card terminated on January 1, 2010. 

Q: Why is there more than one category for journeyman electricians?
A: Additional categories for journeyman electricians were created at the request of representatives of the Home Builders Association and Southern Nevada Sign Association.  Test content in many instances covered systems that electricians trained and working in a specific area would not encounter or have experience in.  Such specific category licensing is restrictive and allows the card holder to work only within the listed discipline.

Last modified at 12/19/2017 13:58 by System Account