Northeast County Land Use Plan
Land Use Planning links:
Detail Area Maps
Existing Conditions Maps
Special Overlay Districts in Northeast County (PDF)
Location: Northeast of the Las Vegas Valley
Size: 1,708,756 acres, 2,670 sq miles
Northeast County is an unincorporated planning area administered by Clark County. It includes the communities of Bunkerville, Glendale, Logandale, Moapa, Moapa Valley, Mesquite and Overton.
Bunkerville is an agricultural community situated along the Virgin River in Clark County. This area was intended as the halfway rest point between California and Utah. The area includes several large dairy farms and crop operations.
In 1877, Edward Bunker and a company of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints members located themselves on the Virgin River, a few miles west of the Nevada-Arizona border and diverted the flow of the Virgin River for farming. This company was practicing the form of economic communalism known as the United Order.
Glendale, set at the intersection of I-15 and State Highway 168, is a small service-orientated community that is almost surrounded by the boundary of the unincorporated town of Moapa. All privately held land was owned by Charlie and Vera Hester.
Going back into the 19th century, the most overriding concern for the traveler was obtaining sufficient water for himself and his animals. If plotted out on a map and compared to the known sources of water, the standard routes of travel conformed very closely to the precious springs, seeps, tanks, and seasonal flow of rivers and streams. The waterless 55 mile stretch of territory along California Wash between the present-day site of Glendale on the Muddy River and the springs of Las Vegas is a case in point.
Traditionally referred to as the Upper Muddy area, or Upper Moapa Valley, Moapa was originally a railroad town with several saloons, hotels and a stockyard.
One of the early families to settle the area was a Mormon family named Perkins.
An important part of the community is the Moapa Indian Reservation, in which approximately one-third of the area's population resides.
Moapa Valley is along one of the few small rivers of arid Nevada. Archeological studies point out that this area has been inhabited as far as 1000 B.C., and Pueblo occupations of the area began around the time of Christ and spread throughout the valley.
Sometime after 1150 A.D., the Paiute Indians took advantage of the fertile soil of the rivers and resided there until the recorded Mormon settlement in 1864. Towns like St. Joseph (Logandale), Overton, Westpoint (Moapa) and Kaolin began to sprout up around the agricultural community.
In 1866, two years after Nevada achieved statehood, the U.S. Congress transferred a 60-mile strip of Utah and Arizona territory (which included the Moapa Valley area) to Nevada which eventually led to the abandonment of the towns a few years later.
In 1880, a small group of pioneers under the direction of their leaders in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints tried to irrigate and settle the Mesquite Flats on the Virgin River. In 1894, six young families from nearby Bunkerville rebuilt the irrigation canal and established themselves permanently. Soon the successful town attracted more settlers and the name was shortened to Mesquite.
Significant changes came to Mesquite after the completion of Interstate Highway 15 in the 1970's. The Western Village Motel was sold in the early 1980's to become the Peppermill Hotel and Casino, later known as the Oasis.