subscribe to newsfeed
type size: A+ A-
Friday, October 9, 2015
Las Vegas Constable

This program is currently suspended pending review by the 2015 Legislature.
Check back periodically for updates.

The Las Vegas Township Constable’s “Fair Share” program is aimed at ensuring residents within its jurisdiction register their vehicles as required by state law. New residents are required to obtain their driver’s license within 30 days and register their vehicle with the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) at the same time, or within 30 days, whichever is sooner. To register your vehicle, you must provide proof of insurance from a Nevada-licensed carrier at the time of registration.

The 2009 State Legislature approved changes to state law, Nevada Revised Statute 482.385, allowing constables to issue citations for vehicle registration violations. The Legislature also increased penalties for violations.

Penalties include: 

  • A hearing before a judge.
  • A fine of up to $1,000 dollars per vehicle. The judge may reduce the fine to $200 if violators provide proof of registration at the time of their hearings.
  • A bench warrant for arrest of the vehicle owner if the citation and fine are not paid by the specified deadline.
  • A $100 fee payable to the Constable.

If cited for failure to register a vehicle, you are required to pay your outstanding fee to the Constable before registering with the Department of Motor Vehicles per NRS 482.230.

Las Vegas Township Constable’s jurisdiction includes the city of Las Vegas and a large part of unincorporated Clark County, including the urban valley, Indian Spring and Mount Charleston.


Certain non-residents also must register their vehicles in Nevada. You must register your vehicle here:

  • if your vehicle is operated in Nevada for more than 30 days in a calendar year
  • if you engage in a trade, profession or occupation or accept gainful employment in Nevada
  • if you enroll your children in a public school in Nevada
  • if you furnish a vehicle to a Nevada resident for continuous use here


There are some exceptions. You are not required to register your vehicle here if you are:

  • on active duty in the military service of the United States
  • an out-of-state student
  • registered as a student at a college or university located outside Nevada and in the state for a period of not more than 6 months to participate in a work-study program for which you earn academic credits from the college or university
  • a migrant or seasonal farm worker
  • a border state employee (commute into Nevada for employment within 35 miles of the border)