11/2/2015 - DA’s Office Releases Report on Deaths of Jerad and Amanda Miller

  • Contact:  
  • Phone:  
  • Email:  


The Clark County District Attorney’s Office has completed its review of the June 8, 2014, deaths of Jerad Miller and Amanda Miller and determined that the actions of Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (Metro) officers were legally justified.

In a report released today, it was determined that on June 8, 2014, Jerad Miller entered a CiCi’s pizza at 309 N. Nellis Blvd., asked an employee where the restroom was, and then left the restaurant. Two minutes later, Jerad returned to the restaurant with his wife, Amanda Miller. The couple walked past two Metro officers who were having lunch, turned and opened fire on the officers in a coordinated attack. The entire assault lasted four seconds. The couple then removed the officers’ handguns and extra ammunition from their belts and placed a Gadsden flag, a Swastika pin and a handwritten note at the scene. They spent a total of less than one minute inside the restaurant.

The couple then exited the restaurant and retrieved two bags they had left outside. They walked to the Walmart at 201 N. Nellis Blvd, still armed. As they entered the store, Amanda stopped to get a shopping cart, and Jared shouted that a revolution had started. Jared’s shouting drew the attention of Joseph Wilcox, a Walmart customer who had a Concealed Carry Weapon (CCW) permit and was armed with his Glock 9mm handgun. Mr. Wilcox drew his handgun and kept it at a low ready position as he focused his attention on Jerad. As Mr. Wilcox followed Jared and positioned himself to engage Jared from behind, he passed Amanda, who shot him one time in the left side, incapacitating him. Mr. Wilcox did not fire any shots.

Jared and Amanda met up at the ammunition case in the sporting goods section of the store, and loaded Amanda’s bag with several boxes of 9mm and .38 caliber ammunition.

The first responding officer ran from the CiCi’s Pizza, toward the Walmart, where he encountered numerous citizens running out the rear exit doors. A store employee told the officer where the suspects were located in the store, and other citizens advised that the male was shooting in the store. As the officer entered the store and moved toward Jared’s last known location, he encountered Amanda, who raised her handgun toward the officer. Amanda and the officer exchanged gunshots. Jared came around the corner and immediately opened fire on the officer. During the exchange of gunfire, Amanda was struck one time in the back, near her upper right shoulder; however, it is unclear whether she was struck by the officer or Jared.

The officer retreated through the rear exit of the store and advised dispatch of the shots fired, and updated arriving units on the suspects’ descriptions, weapons and last known location in the store.

A Metro sergeant and four officers entered the store and took a position to the east of the Millers. The Millers fired on the team of officers. Two officers returned fire and two other officers moved to another tactical position south of the Millers. When the two other officers arrived at their position, the Millers fired at them several times. Because of the distance and position, those officers were unable to return fire.

The sergeant attempted to communicate with the Millers, who were now barricaded in the corner of the store. Jared’s response was to tell the officers to stand down and that he was in charge. As Jared moved across an aisle, to retrieve something from a shelf, he fired on one of the officers. That officer fired his rifle in response, fatally wounding Jared. As Jared fell to the ground, it appeared that he said something to Amanda, at which point she pointed her handgun at Jared, and then at herself. Ultimately, she shot herself in the right side of the head.

As SWAT officers arrived, they handcuffed both Jerad and Amanda. Jerad and Mr. Wilcox were pronounced dead at the scene. Amanda was transported to UMC, where she was later pronounced dead.

The entire incident at the Walmart lasted approximately twenty-four minutes. The Millers fired a total of 29 shots. Metro officers fired a total of 16 shots.

An autopsy report confirmed that Jared was shot one time with, what appeared to have been, a rifle round. Toxicology on Jared revealed the presence of Marijuana in his blood.

An autopsy also revealed that Amanda had been shot twice, once in the back of her upper right shoulder and once in the head. The Coroner determined Amanda died as a result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head and her death was ruled a suicide. Toxicology tests for Amanda were negative.

"The Millers ambushed Officers Soldo and Beck and Amanda Miller ambushed Mr. Wilcox," said Clark County District Attorney Steve Wolfson. "This was a cold-blooded murder of two police officers and an innocent civilian. Metro officers acted quickly and prevented further casualties."

A Police Fatality Public Fact-Finding Review was held on September 4, 2015. The determination that the officers acted lawfully in this situation is based upon the evidence available at this time. The case could be reexamined if new information comes to light.

The full report is available on the District Attorney’s Web page.

Last modified on 12/14/2015 10:24