Cold Weather Prompts Warming Stations to Open This Week
With temperatures expected to remain extremely cold this week, warming stations will be open to the public Tuesday, Jan. 15, through Friday, Jan. 18, in an effort to move the homeless and other individuals out of the cold weather.
The warming stations are in addition to the Southern Nevada Regional Planning Coalition’s Inclement Weather Shelter Program, which provides overnight shelter from November until late March.
The following locations will be open Tuesday through Friday:
- Black Mountain Recreation Center, 599 Greenway Road (at E. Horizon Drive), Henderson, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Cambridge Recreation Center, 3930 Cambridge St., Las Vegas, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Dr. William U. Pearson Community Center, 1625 W. Carey Ave., Las Vegas, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Dula Gymnasium, 441 E. Bonanza Road, Las Vegas, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Hollywood Recreation Center, 1650 S. Hollywood Boulevard, Las Vegas, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Stupak Community Center, 251 W. Boston Ave., Las Vegas, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Valley View Recreation Center, 500 Harris St. (at Basic Road), Henderson, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Walnut Recreation Center, 3075 N. Walnut Ave., Las Vegas, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
The Salvation Army will also continue to be open from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily at 33 W. Owens Ave. (near Stocker Street), North Las Vegas.
Overnight shelter remains available at the following locations:
- Catholic Charities, 1511 N. Las Vegas Boulevard (near Foremaster Lane), Las Vegas, for men.
- The Salvation Army, 33 West Owens Ave. (near Stocker Street), North Las Vegas, for men and women.
- The Shade Tree, 1 West Owens Ave. (near Main Street), North Las Vegas, for women and children.
Anyone may dial 2-1-1 from any phone to find the nearest warming station, or visit www.HelpHopeHome.org.
# # #