County's Old Courthouse for Sale; Written Bids Now Being Accepted for Oct. 1 Auction
If you want to get in on redevelopment in downtown Las Vegas, now is your chance.
Written bids of $10 million or more are being accepted for Clark County’s old courthouse located at 200 S. Third Street in the center of rapidly-revitalizing downtown. Interested buyers have until 9:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 1, to submit written bids at the purchasing desk of the County’s Real Property Management Department located on the 4th floor of the Clark County Government Center, 500 S. Grand Central Pkwy.
The property will then be sold at a live public auction starting at 10 a.m. Oct. 1 during a County Commission meeting when bids will be opened, verbal bids will be received and the highest winning bidder will be announced. The starting price for bidding was set based on an appraisal of the property this spring.
“There has been a lot of interest expressed about this property,” said Clark County Commissioner Lawrence Weekly, whose District D includes the courthouse. “It’s in a prime location and I am really excited about what the future holds for this property and our community.”
The existing building is seven stories tall with 315,180 square feet including the parking garage and common areas such as lobbies, hallways, restrooms and mechanical areas. It’s located on 2.76 acres of land bordered by Third Street on the east, Casino Center Boulevard on the west, and Carson and Bridger Avenues to the north and south. The property has been vacant since 2005 when the construction of the Regional Justice Center at 200 Lewis Ave. was complete and courthouse operations moved to the new complex.
The site has been part of dowtown’s history since 1905 when Union Pacific Railroad (then known as the Las Vegas Land and Water Company) dedicated the land for use as a County courthouse and jail and a city of Las Vegas public library and city hall. The first “temporary” courthouse opened on the site as a simple block structure in July 1909. The building was then divided, with half being used as a public library and the other half as a temporary City Hall. A more imposing courthouse was built in 1914 on the site. It was designed by notable, Nevada-born architect Frederick DeLongchamps. The existing building opened in 1960. It was designed by Las Vegas architects Walter Zick and Harris Sharp. The County spends about $140,000 a year to maintain the property.
Clark County is a dynamic and innovative organization dedicated to providing top-quality service with integrity, respect and accountability. With jurisdiction over the world-famous Las Vegas Strip and covering an area the size of New Jersey, Clark County is the nation’s 12th-largest county and provides extensive regional services to more than 2 million citizens and 43 million visitors a year. Included are the nation’s 8th-busiest airport, air quality compliance, social services and the state’s largest public hospital, University Medical Center. The County also provides municipal services that are traditionally provided by cities to almost 900,000 residents in the unincorporated area. Those include fire protection, roads and other public works, parks and recreation, and planning and development.