Volunteers Needed to Help Count the Homeless on Jan. 24 and 25
Volunteers are needed to help with the 2013 Southern Nevada Homeless Census urban count in the Las Vegas Valley from 1 to 6 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 24.
Volunteers are also needed to assist with the rural count, which will be conducted in areas outside the Valley including Laughlin and Mesquite from 4:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. Friday, Jan. 25.
Any individual or community group interested in volunteering is asked to pre-register through the United Way of Southern Nevada at http://bit.ly/2013HomelessCensus. Once signed up, volunteers will be assigned to teams and deployment centers.
For the urban count, the teams will count the homeless population in designated areas without interacting with or disturbing the homeless at that early hour. Volunteers participating in the rural count will be required to conduct brief interviews with the homeless.
The urban count deployment centers will be:
- Mountain Crest Neighborhood Services Center (Northwest), 4701 N. Durango Drive (at West Red Coach Avenue), Las Vegas 89129 Walnut Recreation Center (Northeast)
- 3075 N. Walnut Road (south of Cheyenne Avenue), Las Vegas 89115
- Catholic Charities (Downtown Area), 1501 Las Vegas Boulevard North (at Foremaster Lane), Las Vegas 89101
- Rawson-Neal Psychiatric Hospital (West), 1650 Community College Drive (north of Oakey Boulevard), Las Vegas 89146
- Cambridge Recreation Center (Central), 3930 Cambridge Street (north of East Flamingo Road), Las Vegas 89119
- Southern Nevada Regional Housing Authority (East), 5390 E. Flamingo Rd (east of South Nellis Boulevard), Las Vegas 89122
- Clark County Fire Station 66 (Southwest), 7929 Mountains Edge Parkway (south of South Buffalo Drive), Las Vegas 89178
- HopeLink (Henderson), 178 Westminster Way (at Center Street), Henderson 89015
Anyone who is unable to pre-register but still wants to volunteer may show up at any one of the census deployment centers promptly at 1 a.m. on Jan. 24.
- The deployment centers for the Jan. 25 rural count will be:
- Colorado River Food Bank, 240 E. Laughlin Civic Drive, Laughlin 89029
- Mesquite Family Resource Center, 355 West Mesquite Boulevard, Mesquite 89027
A census of the homeless in Clark County is a prerequisite to qualifying for federal grants for homeless programs. Southern Nevada received more than $13 million from these grants during the past two years. The homeless census also provides key data indicating the need for such programs and provides a benchmark to measure regional efforts.
This is the sixth countywide effort to conduct a person-by-person count of the homeless in Clark County. The 2011 homeless census found an average of 9,400 homeless people staying in shelters and on the streets at any given time, and more than 50,000 instances of people becoming homeless over the course of a year. For more information, go to www.volunteercentersn.org, www.helphopehome.org, or call (702) 455-6373.
# # #