Junior Duck Stamp Conservation Program (Kids Age 5-18)
Experience a dynamic art and science program about wetlands and waterfowl conservation. Kids create an entry for a nationwide art contest. With US Fish & Wildlife Service. Free. Ages 5-18. All supplies provided. Advanced sign up required. Register Here
Tuesday, October 11, 10:00 am to 12:00 pm
Thursday, November 10, 10:00 am to 12:00 pm
Sunday, November 20, 10:00 am to 12:00 pm
Charcoal Drawing (Ages 6+)
Learn how to use charcoal to capture fall at Wetlands Park and see the beauty in "negative space." Free. Walk in.
- Sunday, November 13, 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm
Young Explorers (Kids Age 5+)
The Young Explorer Program introduces you and your young adventurers to a variety of plants and animals that call the Wetlands Park their home through various activities, live animal demonstrations, crafts, story time, and outdoor exploration. Advanced sign up required. Register Here
- Sunday, September 25, 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm - Senses: Sensssational Snakes
- Sunday, October 30, 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm - Animals That Give You Chills
- Sunday, November 27, 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm - Wetlands Feast
Parents and kids of all ages enjoy a nature themed story time and craft or art activity in the comfort of the Wetlands Park Café. Free. No need to sign up in advance, just walk in.
- Saturday, August 13, 11:00 am to 12:00 pm
- Saturday, August 27, 11:00 am to 12:00 pm
Fall 2016 (please note new time):
- Saturday, September 3, 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm
- Saturday, September 17, 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm
- Saturday, October 1, 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm
- Saturday, October 8, 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm
- Saturday, October 15, 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm
- Saturday, October 29, 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm
- Saturday, November 5, 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm
- Saturday, November 19, 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm
Who Goes There (Kids Age 7+)
scat & tracks found in the park and create your own plaster mold of
wildlife footprints. Advanced sign up required. Register Here
- Saturday, September 10, 10:00 am to 11:30 am
Nature Tykes (Ages 3-6)
Nature Tykes is an all-outdoor program for kids and parents featuring science, story time, wonder and discovery. Advanced sign up required. Please choose your dates carefully as Saturday programs are repeats of Wednesday content. Register Here
- Wednesday, October 5, 9:30 am to 11:00 am
- Wednesday, October 12, 9:30 am to 11:00 am
- Wednesday, October 19, 9:30 am to 11:00 am
- Wednesday, October 26, 9:30 am to 11:00 am
- Wednesday, November 2, 9:30 am to 11:00 am
- Wednesday, November 9, 9:30 am to 11:00 am
- Wednesday, November 16, 9:30 am to 11:00 am
- Wednesday, November 30, 9:30 am to 11:00 am
Saturday Nature Tykes programs will repeat content from Wednesday programs.
- Saturday, October 22, 9:30 am to 11:00 am
- Saturday, November 12, 9:30 am to 11:00 am
- Saturday, November 26, 9:30 am to 11:00 am
Story Walk (All ages)
Follow a nature themed children's story through the paths of the Nature Preserve. This is a self-paced program that families will do independently on a clearly marked route. Check in at the Exhibit Hall for instructions. Free. Walk in.
- Friday, November 25, 10:00 am to 3:00 pm
Join a nature guide for a themed walk to experience Wetlands Park in an inspiring and entertaining way. Wear comfortable walking shoes, bring water and dress appropriately for the weather. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Be prepared to walk two to three miles and keep a sharp lookout for wildlife. Locations will vary. Age 12+. Free. Advanced signup required.
- Introduction to Wetlands Park
Saturday, September 3, 9:00 am to 11:00 am
- Woof Walk. Dog-Friendly
Sunday, October 2, 9:00 am to 11:00 am
- Connecting to Place
Saturday, October 15, 9:00 am to 11:00 am
- All About the Animals
Saturday, November 19, 9:30 am to 11:30 am
Nature is for Kids! (Age 7+)
Kids and parents will enjoy this Discovery Walk designed just for kids. Explore the hidden corners of the Nature Preserve. Free. Advanced sign up required. Register Here
- Saturday, September 24, 9:00 am to 10:30 am
Java Jaunt Birding (Age 12+)
Great for beginner birders or anyone interested in wildlife. Walk with a Red Rock Audubon Society birding expert and a Wetlands Park nature guide, then enjoy a cup of java and discuss what you've seen and heard. You will get to know other bird enthusiasts and learn about birding resources. Advanced sign up required. Register Here
- Fall Migration Wells Trailhead
Sunday, September 18, 7:30 am to 9:00 am
- Birds of the Las Vegas Wash Pabco Trailhead
Sunday, October 16, 7:30 am to 9:00 am
- Coming to Terms with the Little Brown Birds Nature Preserve
Sunday, November 20, 7:30 am to 9:00 am
Senior Golf Cart Tours
Don't let mobility issues prevent you from enjoying all Wetlands Park has to offer. Learn about the history and wildlife of Wetlands Park and visit scenic overlooks of the Las Vegas Wash. Ability to transfer to/from a golf cart is required. Space is limited. Free. Advanced signup required. Register Here
- Sunday, September 11, 8:30 am to 10:30 am FULL
- Monday, October 17, 9:30 am to 11:30 am FULL
- Sunday, November 13, 9:30 am to 11:30 am
Walk with a nature guide and get to know other frequent visitors to Wetlands Park while you explore new areas. Miles count towards the Wetlands Walkers program. Free. Advanced signup required. Register Here
- Monday, October 10, 11:00 am to 1:00 pm
- Monday, November 14, 11:00 am to 1:00 pm
Join a nature guide for an introductory tour of the Nature Preserve. Great for first time visitors or those interested in learning more about Wetlands Park. Free. Walk-in for individuals and families.
Groups: Please call ahead to (702) 455-7522 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve space.
- Every Saturday & Sunday in October & November, 10:00 am - 11:00 am
Except Saturday, October 15 and Saturday, November 19
Walk with family, friends, or on your own in the Wetlands Park. Keep track of your mileage and we’ll add your individual mileage to the ‘Wetlands Walkers’ group mileage.
The Challenge: Can we, collectively, walk the distance of a species that migrates through the Wetlands Park.
The Current Challenge: To walk the distance of migrating bats.
Participants will receive a mileage tracking card and a detailed mileage map of the Nature Preserve.
Up: Stop by the Nature Center or contact us at email@example.com.
Learn about the plants, birds, and history of Wetlands Park in an informal discussion-based learning session in the Nature Center Exhibit Hall. Free. Walk-ins welcome.
Common Plants of the Wetlands Park Nature Preserve
Saturday, August 27, 10:00 am to 11:00 am
Nesting Birds of the Las Vegas Wash
Saturday, September 3, 11:00 am to 1:00 pm
Wetlands Overlook Talk
Every Saturday & Sunday, September 2016
10:00 am - 10:30 am
Ideal for new visitors! Join us for a short orientation talk at the Nature Center Overlook, where you can see stunning views of the scope of Wetlands Park and neighboring Rainbow Gardens and Frenchman Mountain. Gain insight about Wetlands Park's history and how water flows through our desert oasis, providing habitat for hundreds of birds and other wildlife. All ages. Walk in.
Watch for this citizen science program at The Big Bridge. We will be recording wildlife sightings and discovering their natural cycles. Wednesdays, 9:00 am.
You may encounter Wetlands Park staff as you explore the Nature Preserve. We are available to help with navigation and bird, plant, and animal identification. Feel free to ask questions!
Park Volunteer Events
Come prepared to get dirty and make a difference! Participants under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian. Please print out and bring a
waiver form (PDF).
Be prepared! Please wear closed toed shoes, sunscreen and a hat. Be sure to bring water for every member of your group.
Wetlands: Hands On! (W.H.O.)
Pre-registration required. To sign up as an individual or group, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (702) 455-7522.
Saturday, September 17
8:00 am to 10:00 am
Location: Pabco Trailhead
Print and share an event flyer.
Saturday, October 8
9:30 am to 12:00 pm
Location: Duck Creek
Saturday, November 12
9:00 am to 11:00 am
Location: Nature Preserve
Become a Wetlands Park volunteer!
Looking for a long-term volunteer opportunity? Volunteers are needed year-round in a variety of jobs. Volunteers are asked to make a commitment of eight hours per month. Learn more.
Contact us to schedule a volunteer interview or attend a Volunteer Orientation Class:
Friday, October 14, 3:00 pm to 4:30 pm
RSVP to: email@example.com
School Field Trips
About Our Field Trips
- We will begin accepting reservations for the 2016/2017 school year on August 24, 2016. Our field trip schedule fills up rapidly. Reservations will be scheduled on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Guided field trips are available to Third, Fourth, and Fifth Grade classes ONLY.
- Field trips are scheduled on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, October 1 through April 30.
- We will be launching our new Fifth Grade trip this year which includes a pre-visit lesson plan to prepare students for their visit. Once at the Park, Fifth Grade Students will collect data while on their nature walk and bring their findings back to the classroom for a post-visit lesson.
- Applications are available for download here: Field Trip Application.
- Once a field trip is scheduled, teachers receive an advance packet containing needed information about the Clark County Wetlands Park, tips for planning their field trip, and an orientation video to share with the students in preparation for their visit.
- For more information, or to inquire about scheduling a school field trip, send an email to Margot.VandenAcker@ClarkCountyNV.gov.
Field Trips are outdoor explorations led by Wetlands Park staff and volunteers, weather permitting. Students have direct experience with the Nature Preserve plants and wildlife. Visits generally last 2-3 hours, and groups should plan to walk an average of 2.5 miles. Working in small groups, students use all their senses to gather information about the plants, animals, water resources, and weather in the Park on the day of their visit.
They may use magnifying glasses, binoculars, thermometers, measuring tapes, and other tools loaned by the Park in the course of their exploration.
Haunt the Wetlands 2016
Friday, October 28
Evening Event: 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Daytime Activities: 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
Free, family friendly!
Registration is required for Haunt the Wetlands evening event.