Commissioner William McCurdy II was elected to the Clark County Commission in 2020 and sworn in for his first term on Jan. 4, 2021. Commissioner McCurdy previously served two terms (2016-2020) in the Nevada State Legislature as the representative for Assembly District 6.
During his tenure as Assemblyman, he was elected as the first African American and youngest chair of the Nevada State Democratic Party. Significant legislation introduced by McCurdy improved Education, Public Safety, Healthcare and Economic Development. While at the Legislature, he served as vice chairman of the Government Affairs Committee and was a member of the Commerce and Labor and Legislative Operations and Elections committees. Additionally, he served on the Homeland Security Commission.
Prior to his service in the Nevada Legislature, McCurdy was an organizer with the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) where he elevated to state political director. He also was very engaged during his years at the College of Southern Nevada where he was elected student body president. While there he fought against tuition increases and worked to secure thousands of dollars in student scholarships to ensure education was within reach for many desiring to achieve their dreams.
McCurdy is a native Las Vegan, born in the very Commission District he now proudly represents. He holds an Associate’s degree from the College of Southern Nevada and is currently pursuing a Bachelor’s of Arts in Urban Studies at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. He plans to attain a law degree in the future.
McCurdy enjoys spending time with family, especially attending sporting events with his two sons, Charles, 14, and William, 12.
Professional, Personal & Community Affiliations:
- Vice President, Dr. Martin L. King, Jr. Committee
Past Boards, Commissions, and Committees:
- Chair – Nevada State Democratic Party
- Western Region Vice President – Association of State Democratic Committees
- Member – Let America Vote Board of Advisors
- President – College of Southern Nevada Student Body
- Member – Las Vegas Urban League Community Action Agency Board of Directors
- Youngest Elected Nevada Democratic State Party Chair
- Elected CSN Student Body President ( 2014-2015)
- Developed the “Be Heard” campaign giving CSN students access to resources and peer-to-peer networking