Commission Vice-Chairman Lawrence Weekly's Biography
Commissioner Lawrence Weekly is the first African American to chair the Las Vegas Convention & Visitors Authority. He also sits as chairman of the Board of Trustees for University Medical Center Southern Nevada, the Clark County Liquor & Gaming Licensing Board and the Local Law Enforcement Advisory Board that awards nearly $1 million to valley wide programs every year dedicated to improving the quality of life for families in Clark County.
Commissioner Weekly was appointed to the County Commission in 2007 by former Gov. Jim Gibbons and was re-elected to three additional terms. On Jan. 7, 2019, he was selected by his peers to serve as County Commission vice chairman. Prior to becoming a commissioner, Weekly served seven years as the Las Vegas City Councilman for Ward 5.
Commissioner Weekly is a native Nevadan and graduate of Western High School. He attended Grambling State University where he earned a bachelor’s in Communication. He holds a master’s in Public Administration from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas and teaches public policy at UNLV and Nevada State College.
Commissioner Weekly is a strong advocate for foster care, education and business development. He hosts numerous events annually for children in the Clark County Foster Care system. He also is a member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. and is a founder of the Las Vegas Kappa Leadership League for aspiring young black men in high school and a founder of Camp Brotherhood which affords inner-city youth an opportunity to attend camp at Mt. Charleston each year at the close of the academic year.
Weekly and his wife, Kim, have two children, Malik and Kenya.Responsibilities:
- Chairman - Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority
- Chairman - Liquor & Gaming Licensing Board
- Chairman - University Medical Center Board of Trustees
- Chairman - Local Law Enforcement Advisory Board
- Executive Member - National Association of Counties (NACo)
- Member - Family & Juvenile Justice Services Policy and Fiscal Affairs Board??
- Member - Southern Nevada Housing Authority Board of Commissioners
- Alternate Member - Southern Nevada Regional Planning Coalition
- Las Vegas Valley Water District
- Clark County Water Reclamation District
- Clark County Redevelopment Agency
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
- United States Tennis Association (USTA)
- Member - Workforce Connections Board
- Alternate Member - Southern Nevada District Board of Health
- Advisor - Clark County School District Partnership Program
- Nevada Commission on Aging
- Las Vegas Audit/Oversight Committee
- National League of Cities Community & Economic Development Committee
- Nevada League of Cities - Youth Advisory Council
- Clark County Debt Management Commission
- Southern Nevada Gang Task Force
- “Power to End Stroke” Committee
- Co-founded Camp Brotherhood Youth Camp in 1999
- Founded the Las Vegas Chapter of the Kappa Leadership League, a mentoring program for young males operated under the auspices of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.