Fireworks and Pyrotechnics

Fireworks and Pyrotechnics

Law enforcement and fire inspector teams are cracking down on the use of illegal fireworks in Las Vegas neighborhoods over the holidays. Only fireworks labeled “safe and sane” are allowed and only during certain holidays and when locally licensed and inspected fireworks stands are permitted to sell them. All fireworks, including those labeled “safe and sane,” are a concern during the spring and summer months when the threat of wildland fire is highest in Southern Nevada. Neighborhood concerns about noise, litter, and the use of illegal fireworks purchased outside the Las Vegas Valley also are common. Partners in the “You Light It, We Write It” effort include Clark County, the local cities, LVMPD and Nevada Highway Patrol.

You Light It, We Write It Guideline for Consumer Fireworks Fireworks Safety Tips
Fire Watch Requirements Fire Safety Video (English) Fire Safety Video (Spanish)

“Safe and sane” fireworks include sparklers and fireworks that keep to a small, circular area on the ground and don’t explode in the air. Illegal fireworks include:

  • Firecrackers or Roman candles
  • Sky rockets
  • Any item made of highly combustible materials

 Any fireworks purchased from vendors located outside Clark County are likely to be illegal, including those purchased from vendors in

  • Pahrump 
  • Amargosa Valley 
  • Moapa Band of Paiutes
Offenders caught using illegal fireworks in Clark County and the city of Las Vegas are subject to fines of $250 to $1,000 and disposal fees. Fire inspectors from both jurisdictions will team up with Metro police officers again this year over the July Fourth holiday to crack down on the use and possession of illegal fireworks in local neighborhoods. As part of the “You Light It, We Write It” effort, the public is encouraged to report illegal fireworks complaints online at instead of calling 911 or 311. In 2021, the ISpy site logged 21,134 complaints from June 28 through July 4, including 13,447 on July 4. Reports to the ISpy website do not result in a police dispatch. Instead, the data is used to document problem areas and plan future law enforcement efforts. Officials remind the public that 911 should only be used to report life-threatening police, fire and medical emergencies. The public may call 311, the police non-emergency number, to report illegal fireworks usage complaints but callers are asked to exercise patience, especially on busy nights like the Fourth of July, when dispatchers must prioritize emergency responses. #YouLightItWeWriteIt

Sign up for Clark County Newsletters

Subscribe today to get your neighborhood news