PREA SEXUAL ABUSE/SEXUAL HARASSMENT INFORMATION
- NO sexual activity of any type is permitted in the CCDC/NVC facilities.
- Any type of sexual activity is a violation of facility rules, you will be placed in disciplinary housing pending a CAB Hearing.
- Voluntary sexual conduct between inmates is a violation of NRS 212.187. Voluntary sexual conduct between inmates, or inmates and another person is prohibited.
- Inmates who commit acts of sexual abuse or harassment are subject to discipline in accordance with NRS and the CAB.
- Sexual abuse/harassment is prohibited and will not be tolerated. All allegations of sexual abuse/harassment and staff sexual misconduct are investigated by LVMPD.
- If you are a perpetrator of sexual abuse, you will be prosecuted for a criminal offense. If you are found guilty, this will result in disciplinary time, lessened privileges and will change where you are housed in the facility.
Sexual Safety Guidelines:
The only way a sexual abuse/harassment can be prevented is when a potential perpetrator chooses NOT to sexually abuse or sexual harass another person.
- Position yourself in “Safe Zone” areas where you can see a staff member and a staff member can see you.
- If you are being pressured for sex, report it to any staff member immediately.
- Do not enter someone else’s room at any time.
- Be aware of situations that make you feel uncomfortable. Trust your instincts.
- Don’t let your manners or pride get in the way of keeping yourself safe. Don’t be afraid to say “NO,” or to ask staff for help.
- Do not accept gifts from other inmates, commissary items given to you may be considered a debt with expectation of repayment with a sexual favor.
What to do if you are Sexually Abused:
- Get to a safe place. Report the attack to a staff member immediately.
- Request immediate medical attention.
- Do not shower, brush your teeth, use the restroom, or change clothes in order to preserve evidence.
- If you have been attacked or witnessed an attack, you should report it immediately to any staff member.
- Mental Health staff is available for crisis care 24/7, 365 days a year to listen and offer support.
Ways to Report Sexual Abuse/Sexual Harassment:
- Report verbally/in writing to any staff member, medical or mental health staff, contractor or volunteer.
- Submit an Inmate Grievance via the inmate kiosk.
- Dial *7732 from the inmate phone to leave a confidential voicemail for the PREA Coordinator, free of charge.
- Have family/friend/legal counsel or anyone outside the facility report on your behalf via email to the PREA Coordinator at: DSDSexualAbusePrevention@LVMPD.com
- If you are more comfortable reporting to an outside party call the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office at (775) 788-PREA (7732) free of charge or send written correspondence to:
Washoe County Sheriff’s Office
ATTN: PREA Coordinator
911 Parr Blvd. Reno, NV 89512
The Signs of Hope Hotline
The Signs of Hope Hotline offers their services free of charge from all inmate phones. Once contacted, you can speak with an advocate who can offer support, education, and crisis intervention. Calls are confidential and can be anonymous. The center is NOT a substitute for reporting or investigating a complaint or report of sexual abuse or sexual harassment.Signs of Hope Hotline: (702) 366-1640
False Allegation Notification
Any person who deliberately reports to any police officer, sheriff, district attorney, deputy sheriff, deputy district attorney or member of the Department of Public Safety that a felony or misdemeanor has been committed, which causes a law enforcement agency to conduct a criminal or internal investigation, knowing such report to be false, is guilty of a misdemeanor. (NRS 207.280)