Last Revised September 23, 2021
All Mail Ballot Elections
Starting in 2022, Nevada will have all-mail ballot elections. All "active" voters who are registered to vote no later than 14 days before Election Day will be sent a mail ballot whether or not they requested one unless they chose to opt-out.
- Opting-Out: To opt-out, you must submit a written or online request to not receive a mail ballot. The Nevada Secretary of State will provide the online option which will immediately be transmitted to the Election Department. You may also print, complete, and mail a "Mail Ballot Preference Form." The Election Department must receive all requests (both written and online) no later than 60 days before Election Day.
- Inactive Voters: Inactive voters will NOT be sent mail ballots because their address on file is incorrect.
- How Does a Voter Become Inactive: At the beginning of every federal election year (even-numbered years), the Election Department mails all “active” registered voters a new voter registration card to the most current address in their voter registration record. If the Postal Service notifies the Election Department that a voter has moved, the voter is sent a forwardable postcard asking for an address update. If the voter does not respond within 30 days, he or she is placed on "inactive" status. The Election Department will no longer send them election-related materials because their address on file is incorrect.
- Inactive Voters May Still Vote In Person: Inactive voters may still vote in person at any early voting site or Election Day vote center of their choice, as long as they still live in Clark County, Nevada. Poll workers will ask for an updated address.
- How to Become "Active" Again: Inactive voters must update their Clark County, Nevada, address to become active again. This may be done at any time online on the Secretary of State's website or by various other means. This may also be done on the spot at any in-person voting site during voting hours. If you moved outside of Clark County, Nevada, you must submit a new voter registration for your new County.
- Check if You Are Inactive: The Secretary of State's website will indicate if your voting status is active or inactive. You may also contact the Election Department.
Mailing Ballots to Voters
The mailing of ballots will begin no later than 20 days before Election Day for in-state voters and no later than 40-45 days before Election Day for out-of-state voters. If you do not receive your mail ballot packet by the start of early voting, immediately call the Election Department at (702) 455-VOTE (8683) or send an e-mail to MailBallotRequest@ClarkCountyNV.gov.
You may still vote in person on a voting machine at any one of the many convenient early voting sites or Election Day vote centers, even if you receive a mail ballot. No matter where you live or what your precinct is in Clark County, you may vote at any Clark County voting site you choose. An early voting schedule and Election Day vote center listing will be in your mail ballot packet, in your sample ballot, and online at www.ClarkCountyNV.gov/vote. If you do not opt-out of mail ballot voting and vote in-person instead of by mail, the following apply:
- If you have your mail ballot with you, you must surrender it at the voting site.
- If you do not have your mail ballot with you, you must sign an affirmation that you are not voting more than once in the same election.
Mail Ballot Drop Boxes
The Election Department will make secure mail ballot drop boxes easily accessible, conveniently located, and widely available, including at all early voting sites and all Election Day vote centers. It will be a felony for anyone other than the Election Department to provide these boxes. You may deposit your mail ballot in a locked, strong drop box instead of sending it through the postal mail. Your ballot must still be sealed inside the postage-paid return envelope provided specifically for you, showing your name and address, and you must also sign the outside of that envelope before placing it in the dropbox (do not put your ballot in another voter’s return envelope). Dropbox locations and hours will be in your mail ballot packet, in your sample ballot, and online at www.ClarkCountyNV.gov/vote.
Voted Mail Ballot Postmark and Receiving Deadlines
Voted mail ballots sent through the Post Office must be: (1) Mailed in the postage-paid return envelope provided specifically for you, showing your name and address, and you must also sign the outside of that envelope before mailing it (do not put your ballot in another voter’s return envelope); (2) Postmarked on or before Election Day; and (3) Received by the Election Department on or before by 5:00 p.m. on the fourth day after Election Day.
Checking the Return Status
During an election, you may check online if the Election Department has received your voted mail ballot. Login to Registered Voter Services and select "Track my Mail Ballot" from the dropdown menu.
Deadline for Curing Mail Ballot Signature Issues
If a question arises about your signature on the outside of your mail ballot return envelope or if you did not put your signature on the outside of that envelope, the Election Department will notify you using the contact information in your voter registration. You will have until 5pm on the sixth day after Election Day to provide a signature confirmation or an actual signature, as applicable.
Military and Overseas Voters - Registering and/or Voting by Mail
Please see our web page for military and overseas voters.
- Fraudulently Requesting a Mail Ballot
It is a felony for a person to fraudulently request a Mail Ballot in the name of another person or to induce or coerce another person to fraudulently request a Mail Ballot in the name of another person. NRS 293.313
- Voting More than Once
It is a felony for an eligible voter to vote or attempt to vote more than once in the same election. NRS 293.780
It is a felony to bribe, offer a bribe, or use any other corrupt means, directly or indirectly, to influence any voter in giving his vote or to deter him/her from giving it. NRS 293.700