Cooking & Holiday Entertaining
- Don’t leave cooking food unattended; always supervise children in cooking areas.
- Keep flammable materials – such as oven mitts, utensils, wrappers and towels – away from the stove.
- Every kitchen should have a working, multi-purpose fire extinguisher with an ABC rating.
- Don’t forget to turn off your oven, fryer, barbecue and stove-top burners.
- Stay alert. If you are tired or consuming alcohol, don’t cook because you are more likely to make mistakes.
- If you or your guests smoke, provide plenty of large, deep ashtrays and check them frequently. Cigarette butts can smolder in the trash and cause a fire, so completely douse cigarette butts with water before discarding.
- After a party, always check on, between and under upholstery and cushions and inside trash cans for cigarette butts that may be smoldering.
- Make sure your smoke detectors are operational.