Join Clark County Poet Laureate Heather Lang-Cassera and other local poets for "Pups & Poetry," a free event Saturday, Aug. 17 at 6 p.m. at The Hydrant Club at 109 N. 9th Street in downtown Las Vegas.
Lang-Cassera will be joined by poets Elizabeth Quiñones-Zaldaña, Ms. AyeVee, Paul Michelsen and Simon
"People have an idea of what Las Vegas is," said Cathy Brooks, owner of The Hydrant Club. "For the most part, they are wrong. What people miss is the deep sense of culture and place that is born on the shoulders of an amazing community of artists. It was the remarkable poetry community that helped me begin to call Las Vegas home and I'm utterly jazzed to be working with Heather to bring Pups and Poetry to life."
The Hydrant Club is an educational facility, doggie day care and boarding facility, an off-leash play area and social club, a place for urban canines and their people.
Members of The Hydrant Club will be in attendance with their dogs. Everyone is welcome but only dogs that are existing members in good standing of the club are permitted to attend. If you wish to bring your dog, please contact The Hydrant Club at least two weeks prior to the event to ensure ample time to complete the necessary entry requirements for your pup's consideration.
"I hope that an opportunity to enjoy poetry while surrounded by furry friends will help the community see that poetry is for everyone," said Lang-Cassera. "It isn't some stuffy elitist art form nor is it dictated by narrow-minded exam questions. Rather, poetry is about exploration, reflection, and celebration, and celebration is what Pups & Poetry is all about!"
Additional poetry events sponsored and/or attended by the Clark County Poet Laureate include:
- Friday, July 20, noon, UNLV Barrick Museum, Community Art Day
- Saturday, Aug. 3, 10 a.m., Clark High School, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Annual O Bon Festival, Author Signing
- Thursday, Aug. 8, 6 p.m., Green Valley Library, Poetry Nuts & Bolts Writing Workshop
- Wednesday, Aug. 14, 6 p.m., Winchester Dondero Cultural Center, And Beyond Poetry Reading
- Saturday, Aug. 24, 1 p.m., Moapa Valley, Re-Discovering Haiku
- Friday, Aug. 30th, 5:30 p.m., The Writer's Block, Elizabeth Quiñones-Zaldaña's Chapbook Release
- Friday, Sept. 6, 7 p.m., Nevada Humanities Program Gallery, Poetry Matters!
- Thursday, Sept. 12, 6 p.m., Green Valley Library, Poetry Nuts & Bolts Writing Workshop
- Saturday, Sept. 14, Reno, Nevada Humanities Literary Crawl
- Thursday, Sept. 19, Green Valley Library, Feature at Open Mic
- Tuesday, Oct. 1, 6 p.m., West Charleston Library, Poet Laureate & Pals Open Mic
- Friday, Oct. 4, 7 p.m., Nevada Humanities Program Gallery, Poetry Matters!
- Saturday, Oct. 5, 11 a.m., Clark County Wetlands Park, Re-Discovering Haiku: A Writing Workshop
- Thursday, Oct. 10, 6 p.m., Green Valley Library, Poetry Nuts & Bolts Writing Workshop
- Friday, Oct. 11, 5:30 p.m., Winchester Dondero Cultural Center, Calaveras Poetry Workshop
- Saturday, Oct. 12, 2 p.m., Winchester Dondero Cultural Center, Calaveras Poetry Workshop
- Saturday, Oct. 19, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Las Vegas Book Festival
- Friday, Nov. 1, 7 p.m., Nevada Humanities Program Gallery, Poetry Matters!
- Tuesday, Nov. 5, 6 p.m., West Charleston Library, Poet Laureate & Pals Open Mic
- Sunday, Nov. 10, TBD, Camp Lee Canyon, Poetry Among The Pines
- Saturday, Nov. 16, 6 p.m., The Hydrant Club, Pups & Poetry
- Thursday, Nov. 28, time & location TBD, A Party with Poetry
- Tuesday, Dec. 3, 6 p.m., West Charleston Library, Poet Laureate & Pals Open Mic
- Saturday, Dec. 7, 6 p.m., UNLV Barrick Museum, Ekphrasis Workshop
- Wednesday, Dec. 25, time & location TBD, A Party with Poetry
Send all questions to Clark County, Nevada Poet Laureate Heather Lang-Cassera at firstname.lastname@example.org.